Ubuntu 13.10 - Internal compiler error after several compiler calls

Maximilian Matthe maxi.matthe at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 5 21:36:25 UTC 2014

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 20:14:04 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> On 5 January 2014 19:50, Maximilian Matthe <maxi.matthe at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 11:41:34 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>>> On 5 January 2014 11:25, Maximilian Matthe
>>> <maxi.matthe at googlemail.com>

>>> Have a look in /var/log/syslog to see if it shows anything when it
>>> crashes.
>>>
>>> It is most likely a hardware problem.  Try running the memory test
>>> option available from the boot menu for a few hours to see if that
>>> throws anything up.
>>>
>>> Another possibility is a disc problem or corrupted file problem.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>
>> Damn,... memtest says both of my RAM-chips have an error. That might be
>> the reason and I need to exchange them.
>
> Not wishing to depress you further but to have two chips fail at the
> same time is a bit unusual.  It is possible it is not the chips at all
> but is something on the mother board which is causing errors on both
> chips.  I don't know how you could test without changing the chips
> though.
>
> Colin

I have 2*4GB installed in my machine. The memtest says that exactly one
bit in the range around 901MB is incorrect and one in 7900MB is
incorrect, though the one at 7900MB does not fail so often as the first
one does. However, it's always the same bit thats wrong, so I might hope
that it are the chips and not the motherboard... hopefully.

Max