How to force wifi to 5Ghz?

Sajan Parikh sajan at parikh.io
Wed Feb 26 18:18:22 UTC 2014

On 02/26/2014 12:14 PM, Dan Purgert wrote:
> On 26/02/2014 13:07, Sajan Parikh wrote:
>> I have two radios broadcasting for the same network, using the same
>> SSID.  One at 2.4Ghz and another at 5Ghz.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> In these dead zones where Ubuntu connects to the 2.4Ghz, I get over 80%
>> packet loss to my router.  Why would it continue on that when 5Ghz is
>> perfect in the same spot?
>>
>> Hopefully that all makes sense.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> - Sajan Parikh
>>
> Need more info to help you out here ...
>
>   - what wifi standard(s) (A/B/G/N/AC) does the router support?
>   - what wifi standard(s) (A/B/G/N/AC) does the card in your PC/Tablet support?

Yeah, sorry.  Router is support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz a/b/g/n.

Card in laptop supports all the above on both frequencies.  2.4Ghz
connections from my laptop work in general.  It's just in these dead
zones that only 5Ghz works.  Which is why I want Ubuntu to always select
5GHz when both are available on the same SSID.