Can't open terminal

Pat Brown pat.mysterywriter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 07:11:40 UTC 2014

I'm having problems with error messages about 'unable to copy the user's
Xauthorization file'. I found some online help that said open the terminal
and check various settings, but I can't open the terminal. All I get is a
blank gray screen.

I'm also unable to run Update Manager and get the same Xauthorization
message. I can't run my Office or GIMP. I either get the Xauthorization
message or a message about my swap file and in the Office case a message
about the backup file.

I have:

Toshiba Satellite laptop
Mint (last stable version)
I haven't installed anything new lately and these problems just started.
I'm going to reboot now but I want to send this in case I can't get back in.

Please, if anyone has any ideas for me and remember I can't access the
terminal.

Pat Brown

http://pabrown.com/
“Write the book the way it should be written, then give it to somebody to
put in the commas and shit.”  Elmore Leonard 1925-2013