Copying Data To USB Flash Drive

Sajan Parikh sajan at parikh.io
Tue Feb 25 09:21:38 UTC 2014

I've been using Ubuntu for years now, but have only recently started to
use USB flash drives for larger files.  Usually things are sync'd on my NAS.

I've noticed when I copy about 5GB of data, the transfer progress window
shows that it goes really fast and is complete.  However, when I go to
eject the drive, I get the message, "Don't Unplug...".

I then have to wait an absurdly long, unpredictable time before the
message "You can unplug...".

I assume it's writing to some sort of buffer at first, and only flushing
to disk when I try to eject.

Is there any way for me to write directly to the disk, or at least get
some sort of progress on when I can **actually** unplug my drive?

I've tried using Nautilus to drag and drop and rsync.

Thanks.

--
Sajan Parikh