Home dir FULL

Herman Aalderink hermanaa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 03:23:13 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-02-09 at 00:52 -0500, Doug wrote:
> On 02/08/2014 10:46 PM, Herman Aalderink wrote:
> > I am out of disk-space for my home-dir. 550MB space left.
> >
> > I reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS. System starts up OK.
> >   I reduced evolution.
> > All is working except the Update Manager.
> >
> > How do I solve the problem? I have plenty disk-space.
> > Can I just MOVE the .evolution dir to my data-partition and put a LINK
> > in home?
> >
> > I prefer the 'automatic' way of installing Ubuntu (no manual
> > partitioning). It safes time. It allows me to get out of any problem by
> > re-installation.
> > I use a second drive for data. I thought that would prevent the problem
> > 'out of disk space' for my HOME partition. It did not.
> >
> > Herman N0JN in Philippines.
> >

> If you have plenty of disk space, why not use GParted and make
> room for a larger /home partition?

--doug

--
I agree. I have used GParted on most occasions.

I had computer-trouble (non-working system) when I installed
(previously, first time 12.04LTS).
At that time I took the 'automatic' short-cut. (and use spare HD-space
for all data under my/manual control).

Second reason: I have better support from 're-install' (install the
same version again, same automatic way).

It proved a good choice: (this re-install, on a 'new' computer, HD
drives moved over). It got me out of trouble in less than 2 hours
(maybe much less, I was doing something else). I only had to set the
time and date.

It also saved time for restoring. I have all essentials backed-up, just
insurance. Avoiding restore saves considerable time.

Herman N0JN in Philippines