USB-wireless peripheral problems

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Tue Feb 11 22:34:29 UTC 2014

On 11/02/14 20:49, Keith wrote:
> [posted to "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users.lists.ubuntu.com> & emailed]
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 17:58:05 +0100, "Joep L. Blom" <jlblom at neuroweave.nl>
> wrote:
>

>> I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard & mouse and since a few kernel
>> updates (I guess since November) first my mouse but now also my keyboard
>> stops working. I have reverted to a cables peripherals which work
>> normally. I therefore suspect something in a driver has changed as the
>> wired peripherals work.
>

> Have you checked the battery? Also transmitters in such devices can easily
> fail.

Keith,Colin,
Thanks for your answers.
Yes I have tried different USB sockets to no avail.The mouse didn't
work. Only a reboot revived the mouse. And yes, the batteries are
checked ((and >70 %), moreover, a reboot wouldn't correct a low battery
voltage. I haven't tried it on another computer as the time to failure
is too long to wait for it.
The thought that there is something wrong with the drivers is that the
USB-device is still showing in lsusb although it is removed (lying on my
table!).
I think a refresh of the USB-drivers would be a - temporary - solution
but I have no idea who to accomplish that. Maybe somebody has still some
ideas.
Joep