digiKam disaster

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Tue Feb 11 07:27:08 UTC 2014

Hello Pete,

Monday, February 10, 2014, 11:06:46 PM, Pete wrote:

> @google hope you enjoyed reading this, It had nothing to do with you!
> sent from my HTC.
> On Feb 11, 2014 6:50 AM, "rikona" <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Pete,
>>
>> Monday, February 10, 2014, 9:29:12 PM, Pete wrote:
>>
>> > @google hope you enjoyed reading this, It had nothing to do with you!
>> > sent from my HTC.

> with

>> > Sudo apt-get remove --purge digikam should remove program and all conf
>> > files so when you re-install should be like first run!
>> > Hope this helps
>>
>> Thanks -- tried this, doesn't work. After I ran the above, there were
>> still loads of files and folders on the disk with 'digik' - same as
>> before. [Although the basic command 'digikam' is no longer there and
>> working.] Same as the GUI uninstall/reinstall. It seems as though I
>> can't get rid of it!! Reinstalled, ran digikam from the CLI, got
>> HUNDREDS of error msgs! Comes up completely disfunctional - even the
>> initial 'tips' box has nothing in it. :-) No top menu, nothing
>> works...
>>
>> Something is being installed/set up that is NOT removed by an
>> uninstall -- and/or -- some file[s] I removed by hand are needed for
>> it to run. sudo konq no longer works either, so maybe one of those
>> removed files was needed by kde?? I can't imagine trying to repair a
>> screwed up kde... :-))
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>  rikona

> Oops sorry :) sudo apt-get -f install

Is this to install, or done after install?

> Sudo apt-get configure -a

What do these do? I hate to do things I don't understand...

> Has helped me recover from potential disasters before now!

> I saw another post on this subject saying about files in home dir,
> me personally would move or rename them rather than delete so
> Murphy's law of unintended consequences can be avoided!

Yep - a good idea - if I was a bit more awake, I might have thought to
do that too. :-)

> Hope you get to the bottom of this, although I don't use KDE myself it
> should be possible to point apps at different folders easily!

I don't really 'use' kde, [running Ub 12.04] but do like a small
number of kde pgms. digiKam was the only pgm I could find that seemed
to do what I wanted.

Thanks for the help.

--

 rikona