Weird application menu behaviour

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Fri Feb 7 22:45:38 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-07 at 17:14 +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 7 February 2014 03:28, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> > Is there any way, in Unity, to have the application menus appear on the
> > application windows?
>
> Yes there are ways, but they are hacks and break the way that Unity
> is meant to work. If you can't adapt to a global menu (which I find no
> problem, but then, I've been using Macs since the late 1980s) then I
> would say you have 2 choices:
>
> * give up your focus-follows-mouse thing and get used to it

That's what I did as a workaround.

> * switch to a different desktop

I have tried a lot of desktops in my time. Now it is Unity's turn. Last
was GNOME3, but I found it very buggy indeed. I will give Unity a
red-hot go :-)

With the Compiz rotating cube and the Expo feature, I'm pretty happy
with it. so far. The menu thing was the only major irritation, and to be
honest I found that click-to-focus wasn't too bad after a while. But I'm
glad to be sloppy again.

I've spent more time finding the perfect combination of skydome and
background images than anything else :-)

> If you try to bend Unity to your will, things will probably break.
> You're going to have to redo your tweaks for every new Ubuntu version,
> and the methods will probably change. Version upgrades may well fail
> because of the tweaks; you will have to undo them, upgrade, and then
> redo them. You will probably have errors and breakage in other
> functions. You'll have to reproduce them on all the machines that you
> use.

All true, but it's not that bad. Usually there are only a couple of
things I really need to fix. I only require my "main machine" to be
perfect :-) the many, many others I adapt to as needed.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882
Old fingerprint: B862 FB15 FE96 4961 BC62 1A40 6239 1208 9865 5F9A