cursor, wallpaper and other functions disabled

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Mon Dec 29 01:55:28 UTC 2014

On 2014/12/28 18:30, Colin Law wrote:
> On 28 December 2014 at 00:47, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:
>> On 2014/12/27 17:47, Colin Law wrote:
>>> It might be worth checking by booting off a live image and 'Trying
>>> Ubuntu' that it still runs ok, to eliminate hardware issues.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>
>> "Try ubuntu" from live CD causes no problems I can see.
>>
>> When I log out and then log in again, sometimes things improve,
>> but each time (100%) I restart the computer, everything is back to a state,
>> where a million things do not work.
>>
>> Anything else I could try?
> Have a look in /var/log/syslog and ~/.xsession_errors.
>
> Colin

The file "syslog" is empty.
Searching the "file systems" for the ".xsession" file gives "no hits".

Although I tried several times, I have not yet succeeded at "logging in
as a different user", since this too apparently requires
some very heavy computer acrobatics that I obviously have not mastered yet.

Looks like just another case of having to start from scratch again .....