Xsane not working

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 20 22:22:59 UTC 2014

On 12/20/2014 11:54 AM, Scott Blair wrote:
> On 12/20/2014 02:48 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/19/2014 11:55 AM, Scott Blair wrote:
>>> Xsane version 0.998 Ubuntu 14.10.1 Kodak ESP 32250 printer.
>>>
>>> Xsane use to work no problem. I did a reinstall of the operating
>>> system then installed Xsane and now get this:
>>> scott at main:~$ xsane
>>> [bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: bind socket to local address failed -
>>> Cannot assign requested address
>>> scott at main:~$
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>> bjnp is a proprietary Canon protocol:
>> <http://www.qwhatis.com/what-is-bjnp/>
>>
>> Given that you've just upgraded to 14.10 you moste likely will need to
>> install/reinstall your printer/scanner drivers. If you no longer have a
>> cannon printer/scanner, then you might want to purge it's older drivers.
>>
>> What do you get for the following commands:
>>
>> $ scanimage --list-devices
>> $ apt-cache policy cups-backend-bjnp
>>

> Wonder why I have a Canon protocol, never owned a Canon printer.
> Here is the output:
>
> scott at main:~$ scanimage --list-devices
> [bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: bind socket to local address failed -
> Cannot assign requested address
> device `kodakaio:libusb:001:011' is a Kodak KODAK ESP 3200 Series AiO
> flatbed scanner
> scott at main:~$
>
> scott at main:~$ apt-cache policy cups-backend-bjnp
> cups-backend-bjnp:
>    Installed: (none)
>    Candidate: 1.2-2
>    Version table:
>       1.2-2 0
>          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ utopic/universe amd64

Interesting...

Can you
$ gedit /etc/sane.d/kodakaio.conf
and then copy & past to
<http://paste.ubuntu.com/>
enter your name/anything in the 'Poster' field, paste the contents of
kodakaio.conf in to the 'Content' field. While you're there, also C&P
the outputs from

$ cat /etc/hosts
$ sudo lsusb -v
$ dmesg | tail

then click 'Paste!' and give us the resulting URL link to the pastebin
output.