Xsane not working

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 20 19:48:04 UTC 2014

On 12/19/2014 11:55 AM, Scott Blair wrote:
> Xsane version 0.998 Ubuntu 14.10.1 Kodak ESP 32250 printer.
>
> Xsane use to work no problem. I did a reinstall of the operating
> system then installed Xsane and now get this:
> scott at main:~$ xsane
> [bjnp] create_broadcast_socket: bind socket to local address failed -
> Cannot assign requested address
> scott at main:~$
>
> Any ideas?

bjnp is a proprietary Canon protocol:
<http://www.qwhatis.com/what-is-bjnp/>

Given that you've just upgraded to 14.10 you moste likely will need to
install/reinstall your printer/scanner drivers. If you no longer have a
cannon printer/scanner, then you might want to purge it's older drivers.

What do you get for the following commands:

$ scanimage --list-devices
$ apt-cache policy cups-backend-bjnp