Firefox problems

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Thu Dec 18 17:07:06 UTC 2014

<snip
>> Hi Wade,
>>
>> As I mentioned before, I am using Firefox 30.  I recently installed
>> Chromium and the same problem affects both Firefox and Chromium.  It
>> seems to be a operating system problem and not a problem specific to
>> Firefox.  What would be blocking these two (and maybe more) websites
>> but allows other websites to run properly?
>>
>> I am going to try other web browsers to see if they are affected as well.
>>
> It sounds as if it might be some sort of DNS problem.
>
> What happens if you try 'host bbc.com' on the command line (or
> whatever the site that was causing you problems).

WS=> When I investigate the problem further is seems that FF
is"freezing" on two web-pages.  Looking at the status line of FF (bottom
of the screen) I see "Connecting to static.bbci.co.uk" or "Connecting to
node1.bbcimg.co.uk".  I do not get a timeout on the connection either,
it just stops when it gets to either of these two pages.  Also, from
watching the status line, I can  see that bbc.com loads and then
transferees control to either of these two web-pages.

I have temporarily disabled all of the FF add-ons and I still get this
problem so it does not seem to be add-on related.

.  Now that I think about it, I did get a popup message about the
version of Adobe Flash being out of date.  Since Adobe has discontinued
support for Linux, I ignored the message because there was nothing that
I could do about that.  Could this be the problem?

The output of hosts is as follows, I don't think it is a DNS problem.

$ host bbc.com
bbc.com has address 212.58.246.103
bbc.com has address 212.58.244.18
bbc.com has address 212.58.244.20
bbc.com has address 212.58.246.104
bbc.com mail is handled by 10 cluster8.eu.messagelabs.com.
bbc.com mail is handled by 20 cluster8a.eu.messagelabs.com.

$ host static.bbci.co.uk
static.bbci.co.uk is an alias for static-bbci.bbc.net.uk.
static-bbci.bbc.net.uk is an alias for static.bbci.co.uk.edgesuite.net.
static.bbci.co.uk.edgesuite.net is an alias for a1638.g.akamai.net.
a1638.g.akamai.net has address 69.47.66.136
a1638.g.akamai.net has address 69.47.66.137

$ host node1.bbcimg.co.uk
node1.bbcimg.co.uk is an alias for img.bbc.net.uk.
img.bbc.net.uk is an alias for node1.bbcimg.co.uk.edgesuite.net.
node1.bbcimg.co.uk.edgesuite.net is an alias for a1092.g.akamai.net.
a1092.g.akamai.net has address 69.47.66.155
a1092.g.akamai.net has address 69.47.66.136