2 TB external HD does not mount any more. How to save it's data?

CWSIV JUNO trinity1204user at juno.com
Thu Dec 18 00:04:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-12-17 at 11:08 -0700, Paul B wrote:
> If it's external but gparted sees it, I would take it out of the
> enclosure and cable it directly.  Could just be the usb portion that
> is screwed up.

Yes that is possible.  I use a Sabrient enclosure myself which is SATA /
PATA with USB / firewire connectors whereas I am not sure of these drive
included setups.  By all means if you can get it apart try the cable
directly but before removing the drive be sure the connectors are
standard and not married in some proprietary fashion to the enclosure.

I have diagnosed many a drive caddy issue by bypassing and sometimes
found cable issues as well that way.  so I always get the Cables out of
old systems saves a lot of shopping.

CWSIV

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 8:30 AM, CWSIV JUNO <trinity1204user at juno.com>
> wrote:
>
>         On Tue, 2014-12-16 at 19:15 +0100, Bas G. Roufs wrote:
>
>         >

>         > GParted does see the drive - it mentions 'input-output
>         > errors'.
>         >
>         > When clicking at 'skip' or 'cancel', it mentions an
>         > 'unallocated space'.
>         > --
>

>         Have you considered the partition table itself may be bad??
>         There are partition recovery tooks like testdisk which look
>         directly at the drive bypassing the partition table to see
>         what is there??
>
>         If you rebuild the partition table with gparted you can loose
>         the data.
>
>         CWSIV

Apple's Crazy New Gizmo
Forget the iPhone 6. Next hit Apple product leaked. (see picture)
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/54921a1decaec1a1a3772st01duc