2 TB external HD does not mount any more. How to save it's data?

Bas G. Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 14:42:32 UTC 2014

Hello Everybody.

A few years ago, I formatted a 2 TB Western Digital external hard disk formatted into ext4.
Ever since then, I have been using it to backup my data. However, ever since a few months, the
device is becoming less functional. Now, I do not any more manage to mount it.  On the other
hand, the device still does show up via lsusb and GParted. The latter packages mentions 'input-
output errors' and only sees an 'unallocated' space.

It is crystal clear to me that the device needs to be reformatted in order to get it functional
again. However, I first need to recover the data. How best to do so?

Thanks, respectfully yours,
Bas G. Roufs. --

*/Bas G. Roufs/*
Utrecht, NL, EU.