usb drive wont mount

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 11 17:29:03 UTC 2014

I have a usb flash drive that did not properly umount. The
volume label is no longer in /media but Nautilus still lists
it in places and shows the option to mount. However if you
try to mount the drive you get unable to mount an operation
is pending this persists even after a reboot. To make
matters worse I did the updates today and with it tries to
install the new kernal the generating grub configuration
file step hangs after the Found memtest86+image line.
Looking online I found this was caused for atleast one user
by a stale NFS mount so am guessing this might be the cause
of my update problem I'm now concerned that if I shutdown I
will no longer be able to reboot the system. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.
                        Linda