Firefox sending huge mystery

Charles Irons irons.charles at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 14:58:08 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-12-05 at 09:41 -0500, Niles Rogoff wrote:
> An attempted poodle3 exploit is unfeasible when you're on a private
> network, I wasn't thinking very clearly. Just ignore that
>

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         On 5 December 2014 at 14:11, Niles Rogoff
>         <nilesrogoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>         >
>         > Disable all your add-ons and see if it still happens. If it
>         doesn't, it may be a malfunctioning script on a page you have
>         open, or an attempt to exploit poodle3
>

>         Poodle3?   Google did not suggest anything obvious, but did
>         suggest
>         some items that I did not want to know about.
>
>         Colin
>

>         >
>         >
>         > On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Charles Irons
>         <irons.charles at gmail.com> wrote:
>         >>
>         >> Good day all
>         >>
>         >> I noticed data transmission going on in the System Monitor
>         that I did not start.
>         >> It has sent out 127MB today.
>         >> After hunting for a cause I closed Firefox and the
>         transmission stopped.
>         >>
>         >> Can anyone explain what Firefox is doing please? I am
>         alarmed that my security is at risk.
>         >>
>         >> Thanks for your advice. Chas IRONS
>         >> --

Phew. It seems the panic is over thanks Colin and Niles.

I restarted Firefox without any recurrence.

I run vanilla Ubuntu 14.04.1 so there are no fancy addons.

I was logged into Gmail and my ISP customer console.  Our city is load
shedding and their website was overloaded.

I will watch the monitor and kill Firefox if it happens again.

Thanks again for your help. ChasI