A survey of GUI-based free online backup

John Hupp ubuntu at prpcompany.com
Thu Dec 4 22:16:30 UTC 2014

On 12/4/2014 11:14 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 27 November 2014 at 01:02, John Hupp <ubuntu at prpcompany.com> wrote:
>> It seems to me, however, that installing Mono introduces additional security
>> risks similar to those posed by Wine.  Anyone disagree?
>
> Yes, I would.
>
> WINE doesn't really pose a risk -- virus propagation has been tested &
> it failed. Mono is even less of a risk; it can't run Windows
> executables at all, only a limited subset of  .NET apps, ones that
> include no Windows-specific features.

Kindly engage with me further on those points.

You say virus "propagation" fails under WINE.  By that, you mean it
can't migrate over your network or spread to other computers on the
Internet?  OK, let's grant that.  But it could still deliver a payload,
couldn't it?  E.g. encrypt your user files or do some other damage on
the local machine?

Concerning Mono, I did a quick search on .NET Framework
viruses/trojans/malware and came up with multiple hits.  Why couldn't
that code run under Mono?