gnome session errors question

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 15:04:26 UTC 2014

On 4 December 2014 at 14:43, Linda <haniganwork at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I am using gnome flashback/metactiy and it is taking a while to start the
> desktop session. When I checked the syslog it shows warnings
> Dec  4 07:57:28 venus gnome-session[2399]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop
> file deja-dup-monitor.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
> Dec  4 07:57:30 venus gnome-session[2399]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop
> file vino-server.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
> Dec  4 07:57:30 venus gnome-session[2399]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop
> file gwibber.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
> I have removed all of these programs with synaptic as I do not use these
> programs. Is there a way to tell gnome not to try and find these or to
> create dummy files incase this is  part of what is slowing down the start of
> the session

Remove the .desktop files mentioned.  I am surprised they were not
removed when you removed the app (unless you just did remove rather
than purge).  They will probably be /usr/share/applications or/and
.local/share/applications (or at least that is where they would be
with a standard Ubuntu install.

Colin