Storing information very securely

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 16:31:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Tommy Trussell
<tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 3:02 AM, Jon J <ubuntu-users at mlist.ca> wrote:
>> On 14-12-02 09:49 AM, drew einhorn wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I know Dropbox is the only cloud provider with decent Linux
>>> support.
>>
>> ownCloud is worth a look as a Dropbox substitute. It has a good Linux client.
>>
>> Plus the server portion is open source and self-hosted so you don't
>> have to trust someone else with your data. Plus it can encrypt the
>> data transmission (so you don't have to trust your internet provider)
>> and it can encrypt the files on the server (so you don't have to trust
>> your hosting provider).
>>
>> Just note that the ownCloud server in the Ubuntu repo is very out of
>> date - this was the subject of a little controversy a couple of weeks
>> ago. Download direct from the ownCloud website instead.
>>
>> Jon
>
> also note that the OwnCloud CLIENT is not available in any Ubuntu repo
> -- the "official" client repository is at OpenSUSE.
>
> I've had trouble getting my OwnCloud client to update lately because
> of an authentication error with the repository and I haven't yet
> tracked down the cause. I just Googled for the exact URL when
> composing this message, and got a "down for maintenance" error from
> the server.

CORRECTION replying to myself -- I missed that in my recent upgrade of
one machine to Ubuntu 14.10 "Utopic," the owncloud-client IS now
available in Ubuntu's "universe" repository.

If you're running Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" (as I am on some machines),
and/or want a more recent version of the client than is available in
Ubuntu official repositories, you will need to use the OpenSUSE
repository:

http://software.opensuse.org/download/package?project=isv:ownCloud:desktop&package=owncloud-client