"error ejecting /dev/sdb" in nautilus (Garmin GPS)

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 05:40:58 UTC 2014

Before you eject, open up a terminal and type in:

$ lsof | grep /dev/sdb

This will give you a list of anything that's using the device. If you see a
process using the device you'll need to deal with that process before you
can eject.

If that doesn't work post the process trace of ejecting the disk and we can
better see what's going on:

$ strace -s 1024 umount /dev/sdb

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:47 AM, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:

> I have a Garmin Etrex 10 GPS that works very well with Ubuntu except
> that every time I eject it in the GUI (nautilus), I get this error:
>
>   Unable to eject GARMIN
>
>   Error ejecting /dev/sdb: Command-line `eject "/dev/sdb"' exited with
>   non-zero exit status 1: eject: unable to eject, last error: Invalid
>   argument
>
> but it seems to have worked anyway (GARMIN disappears from nautilus, I
> unplug it, no data corruption).  Any ideas as to what's causing this,
> & how to fix it?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

Stephen Wood