install from tarbal file

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:32:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp>
wrote:

> (2014/12/02 3:21), Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 02:50:02 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
>>
>>  Good evening I found that there is this software called "fantasdic"
>>> (supposed to be a dictionary reader)
>>>

>>> Thank you Thomas
>>>
>> I wonder why don't you install 'stardict' from official repository but
>> instead are looking around for unknown dictionaries?
>>
>> Stardict is one of the best dictionaries available. It is free and not
>> only supports your local dictionaries of choice but allows you to search
>> any number of specified web sources.
>>
> Naturally, I know about Stardict. Which has been discontinued, including
> many of the files/sites etc., in case you did not know.

I was curious about your question and did a Google search for stardict, and
as you say, SourceForge has declared it abandoned, HOWEVER they include a
link to a successor called GoldenDict which is available for ALL recent
versions of Ubuntu (available immediately without having to compile it
yourself). The description makes it sound very much like what you are
looking for.

Just open the Software Center and search for "dictionary" or "goldendict"

If you are having difficulty using the Software Center or another package
manager to install the (already available) software, maybe there's a
problem with your system.