Connecting a tablet to my home network

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Dec 2 15:12:07 UTC 2014

On 12/01/2014 10:41 PM, Jason Sauders wrote:
> I have yet to have success with android devices connecting to my Ubuntu
> machine (which is... weird). Likewise, I'm a network centric kind of guy
> and rarely have cables on me to connect anyway, as they tend to stay at
> their respective charging station (my nightstand).
>
> Instead I use a combination (depending on what I'm doing) of samba and air
> droid (on play store). You can rig up your main system with samba, or use a
> dedicated file server. From there es file explorer, as somebody mentioned,
> will allow you to connect, browse, copy, etc. It's a great app and worked
> very well for me having already had a basic samba setup. Samba isn't that
> difficult to set up though. If I recall the sharing functionality under
> properties within Nautilus might get you there, but I haven't tried that
> personally to be positive. Air droid is different yet similar, if that
> makes sense, giving you a web based frontend to your device. Like the samba
> setup you can browse files etc etc. Both are great utilities. I use them
> both frequently.
>
> Hope this helps. Have a good night!
>
> -J

Jason, Robert & Nathan thanks for the the advice.

I started looking into networking it because connecting with a usb cable
worked so poorly.  I was able to transfer files from Ubuntu to the
tablet, but I could not see any files on the tablet. From the tablet I
couldn't see anything on Ubuntu.

All the solutions I found by googling seemed overly complex and many
people said they did not work for them.  That's why I was hoping
networking it would work out of the box.

I will take a look at the apps you suggest, though I tend to distrust
them and the wide range of permissions they always request.

Thanks,  Jim