install from tarbal file

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 18:21:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 02:50:02 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> Good evening I found that there is this software called "fantasdic"
> (supposed to be a dictionary reader)
> and would like to try that.
> BUT ...
> it is provided online https://projects.gnome.org/fantasdic/
> as a "tar.gz" file.
>
> In the readme file it says:
> Requirements ------------
>
> Ruby >= 1.8.0: http://www.ruby-lang.org GTK+ >= 2.6:
> http://www.gnome.org Ruby-GTK2 >= 0.14.1 [*]:
> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp Ruby-GetText >= 0.6.1 [**]:
> http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext.html Intltool [**]:
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fintltool
>
> [*]: Required libraries are: Ruby/Libglade2, Ruby/Gtk2 and
> Ruby/GdkPixbuf2. Ruby-GTK2 0.16 is however highly recommended.
>
> [**]: Optional.
>
> Install -------
>
> $ ruby setup.rb config $ ruby setup.rb setup ($ su)
> # ruby setup.rb install
>
> OK. -> I installed each of the "requirements", except for the GTK+,
> where synaptic gives a million files and I have no idea which one to
> choose.
> Next I did all that command stuff.
> Yet, I still have only a bunch of folders and files.
> Nothing to "run".
>
> WHAT do I have to do to make this thing work?
> (why does everything under linux have to be such an incredibly
> complicated and incomprehensible task?)
>
> Thank you Thomas

I wonder why don't you install 'stardict' from official repository but
instead are looking around for unknown dictionaries?

Stardict is one of the best dictionaries available. It is free and not
only supports your local dictionaries of choice but allows you to search
any number of specified web sources.

After you install it, google for stardict dictionaries and you'll find
countless number of dictionaries practically of any language, which you
can download for free and use locally with stardict.

What's to the Linux being "complicate" and "incomprehensible"... Well,
this is just because you are not familiar with it yet. I used to work
with people new to Windows helping them out in their learning process.
And I was amazed how simple task like "click", "double click", "drag-and-
drop", etc. (not speaking of a program installation or OS installation)
seemed to them "complicated and incomprehensible".

So, it's not Linux but you, your quite normal and comprehensible lack of
knowledge. If you really wish you'll learn and overcome it with time.

All above is provided you are not simply trolling, considering you cross
posts over 2 different groups.

Thanks.