HELP How do I start Python?

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Sun Aug 31 18:18:34 UTC 2014

hi there,
On 30.08.2014 18:51, Robert Heller wrote:
> >My knowledge of Linux is purely academic - that is, I know WHAT it is.
> >However, when it comes to detail, I still think IBM PC and compatible,
> >after 30+ years working in that area. Very little Linux has rubbed off
> >over the past few years.
> >
> >I need to start Python and don't know how.
first, when you start do noth bother whether you work with python 2 or 3. At
your level the difference is nil.
Then there is a very good book out there:
http://www.diveintopython.net/toc/index.html
I would recommend you start working trough.

Then there is a very nice IDE, I would recommend: http://www.wingware.com/
It is not for free, but you can test it for 30 days. It takes LOTs of the pain
out of the learning of a new language.

by the way, one of the nice things of python is, that you run it on windows and
on linux.
So install wing and play with python on both systems ..

robert