Installing printers

Peter Goggin petergoggin at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 31 02:24:18 UTC 2014

I have 4 usb devices ,
printers :epson XP-100, samsung cpl-320n, brother hl 22
scanners epson perfection 3490.

I was able to install all three printers on a lenova 61s running ubuntu
14.04.
Sane was able to detct the dedicatred scanner but unable to access the
scanning function on the XP-100

I was able to install the brother printer on a Lenovo W500 again running
ubuntu 14.04.
With the epson xp100 it tried to download and use the propriety epson
driver but after accepting the licence agreement  the process asks for
autourisation , starts the download and then hangs. I waited 1 hour but
there was no progress.

I rebooted the machine and this time chose a local driver. The process
hung. I rebooted and tried with the Samsung. The system chose the
gutenprint drivers. It spent some time loading from the internet then
asked for authorization. The system monitor showed very little internet
or cpu activity, downloads rates at 50bytes , with total download of
2Mb. I rebooted the machine, and tried with a local driver. The system
again hung. I retried with glutenprint drivers without success.

I do not understand what is happening. Can any one suggest what I should
do next? When this machine ran windows there was no problem in
configuring the printers, the dedicates scanner and the scanning part of
the XP100. Should I be looking for drivers elsewhere?

I have another lenovo , an R61. I was able to install the printers on
this machine.

I have two more windows machines but untill I can find out why the
printers do not work with W500 am not going to risk installing ubuntu on
them.
Thanks in advance for any advice

Regards

Peter Goggin