Running windows programs under Linux

Peter Goggin petergoggin at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 28 22:50:00 UTC 2014

On 29/08/14 04:55, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/25/2014 01:50 AM, Peter Goggin wrote:
>> Further to my earlier message I have installed Virtualbox on my test
>> machine. I have installed Windows XP and Office XP in the virtual
>> machine. I now want to be able to exchange data betwen the Virtual
>> Windows machine and the Ubuntu operating system. So far I have tried
>> copying the files to a cd but the virtual machine (Windows XP) claims
>> the cd is the wrong format although it was created by a windows XP
>> laptop.  I have copied the files to a usb stick but I cannot see how to
>> access it from the Virtual XP machine.  Is there any way of accessing
>> the virtual machine disk space from the linu host and vice versa?
> Yes.
> <https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation>
> <https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community>
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox>

Thankyou all on this list for your willingness to help. I found out how
to install the rest of virtualbox so I now have Windows XP and Office XP
installed in the virtualbox  with all office applications able to read
and write to files in my Linux home directory.  I can continue using my
first laptop as a ubuntu machine ut still maintain my access data base.
This will give me the breathing space to explore a complete linux
solution for the database.

I now have my second XP laptop to convert.  The main problems I have
with this are
1.finding an equivalent program to Windows Picture and Fax viewer
2. Getting sane to recognise the scanner pare of an ink jet
printer/scanner (Epson XP 100).
3. Confirming the libre equivalent to Powerpoint will let me use an
interactive device as the main display screen

I have successfully installed the three printers  I have and also a
stand alone  Epson scanner, but sane does not find the scanner built
into the XP 100.

I hope that with this machine I can be completely free of Windows.

Once this machine is converted I have two more to go.
One of these is dedicated to genealogy and the other to video and
photography.  I suspect the last one will be the most difficult but I
will come to that in due course.

Thanks again to all who have offered advice.

Regards

Peter Goggin