Ubuntu on Mac Mini questions: manually booting without grub, and preserving GPT partition

Jason Heeris jason.heeris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 22:23:37 UTC 2014

On 27 August 2014 00:19, <nilesrogoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> The insaller will retain the gpt

Good to know, thanks.

> and you will be unable to boot into ubuntu.

I realise I won't be able to boot until grub is installed, but since I'll
be installing it in a later step, do you know if it's possible to do a "one
off" boot into the new system, from the installer?

> I solved this easily with rEFInd. sorry I can't link you I am on mobile.

I am aware of rEFInd, but I want to avoid it for two reasons:

1. I'm trying to show that it's not necessary (as per Mike Homney's post),
and
2. It seems to be impossible to install rEFInd and *not* dual-boot with OS
X[1].

Cheers,
Jason

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2013-August/271071.html