No subject

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 19:22:46 UTC 2014

On 26 August 2014 17:27, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 26 August 2014 08:29, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > On my asus netbook I've got xubuntu 12.04 and bodhi installed.  On both
>> > systems the screen goes all white on a regular basis.  How can I tell if
>> > it's a software or hardware issue?  The fact that it happens on both
>> > suggests to me it's hardware, especially since they use different
>> > kernels.
>> >
>> > This message keeps getting kicked back by the xubuntu mailing list.  I
>> > have
>> > had no responses from Bohdi forums.
>> >
>> > Perhaps there is a error message recorded somewhere?
>>
>> See if you can switch to a terminal using Ctrl+Alt+F1, that should
>> give you a terminal where you can login.  Go back to your normal
>> session with Ctrl+Alt+F7.
>>
>> If you can get to the terminal then you can login and look at the log
>> files, for example
>> tail -f /var/log/syslog
>> From the terminal you can do a safe shutdown with
>> sudo shutdown -h now
>>
>> If you cannot get to a terminal then reboot and look at syslog to see
>> if anything there at the point of failure.
>>
>> Another thing you can try is to boot into a live image and select the
>> ram test option.  Leave it running for long enough to see if you get
>> the problem, and also watch for ram errors.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>

> Been on all day without a problem since early this morning.  It failed then
> when I was moving the screen to the wide open position.  I did not see any
> error messages when I ran tail -f /var/log/syslog.  I tried opening and
> closing the screen a 12 times but it the problem did not recur.  It failed
> again just now when I moved the screen back and forth.  I got an error
> message:

So after running all day without problems it failed when you moved the
the screen and then again later again when you moved the screen.  That
is surely too much of a coincidence even if you cannot make it fail
'on demand'.  I suspect you have a bad connection.  I am assuming,
though, that the screen movements were not related to bringing it out
of suspend or screen sleep.  If you can make it fail once more
coincident with screen movement then I think you can be confident that
it is hardware.

Colin