How many megabytes is 14.04.1 upgrade?

Charles Irons irons.charles at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 11:49:56 UTC 2014

Thanks to Nils Kassube

Before I tried starting the download to check the size, I got advice to
run "do-release-upgrade" and that showed me a hardware graphics problem:

"Your graphics hardware may not be fully supported in Ubuntu 14.04.
Running the 'Unity' desktop environment is not fully supported by
your graphics hardware. You will maybe end up in a very slow
environment after the upgrade. Our advice is to keep the LTS version
for now. For more information see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/UpdateManagerWarningForUnity3D "

This old (2005) desktop PC of mine has an Asrock P4VM8 motherboard with
S3 UnichronR PRO OnBoard VGA that supports DX7 H/W.

As a retired end user that means little to me except that it probably is
not easy to substitute with a newer VGA board.

So I will see if there is a different program instead of Unity.  Maybe
Mate still exists and may work?

When I find an answer to the Unity issue, I will then try the upgrade to
14.04

Thanks again for your advice.  Chas.I