Upgrading from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 14.04

Douglas Pollard dougpol2 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 15:19:17 UTC 2014

On 08/23/2014 07:00 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 23 August 2014 10:33, Pep3ts <pep3ts at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello to all the list,
>>
>> Im'using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I want to try to upgrade my system to Ubuntu
>> 14.04 LTS.
>>
>> Im'thinking about two ways:
>> - upgrade my system normally
>> - format my computer and install directly Ubuntu 14.04
>>
>> I've a backup of all my data and is not a problem to format, are there any
>> differences between the two different ways?
>> Install a completely new sistem can be beneficial?
>> Has anyone had any problem with upgrading?
> First boot from the live image (preferably on USB so that it is not
> horrendously slow loading apps) and make sure it runs ok on your
> machine.
> The advantages of upgrading are that you do not need to re-install any
> apps that are not included in the default install and any
> configuration information and documents will automatically be carried
> over into the new release.
>
> A have rarely had any problems upgrading, and if you are already
> prepared to re-install then you can go ahead with the upgrade and if
> you have problems then you have not lost anything other than a little
> time.
>
> A good compromise is to re-install but keep your home directory.  You
> can do this by selecting 'Something Else' (or something similar) on
> the What Do You Want To Do page and then selecting the partition that
> already has Ubuntu on it as '/' but *do not* select Format.  That way
> it will install the new version but leave your home folder as it is.
> You will keep your configuration and data files and all you will have
> to do is to install any non-default apps.
>
> Colin

Colin, I have this explanation and question, first I have Navagartix on
a net book I use on my sailboat for navigating. I also put it on my
desktop in order to get accustomed to it and I would like to go back th
Ubuntu on my desktop machine. Do you think I could save the home file
and using'/' .not format and have Ubuntu with my home folder in it. I
have never tried anything like this before as I have kept Ubuntu on my
machine all along until recently.

--
      Doug Pollard
Albin Vega Sea Legs 2225