strange nfs problem, need nfs guru

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Aug 22 12:35:33 UTC 2014

On Thursday 21 August 2014 17:28:04 Tom H did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 August 2014 14:06:23 Tom H did opine
> >
> >> Do you have autofs installed and running on lathe?
> >>
> >> If it is, is the "/net" map active?
> >
> > Where is that setting, Tom?
>
> If you use autofs, it's in "/etc/auto.master".
>
> It's commented out as "#/net -hosts".
>
> In a small setting like yours, it's better to create "/net
> /etc/auto.net" and then you can mount the coyote share as
> "/net/coyote/home/gene" automatically without having it in
> "/etc/fstab" or running "mount ...".
>
> I'm not sure how autofs works with nfsv4; or whether it'll even work
> with 10.04.

It seems to be working as expected if I start autofs after uncommenting
the /net entry in auto.master.  But to have it at boot time, apparently
I'll have to add it to startup-applications from those machines own
xsessions.  No clue what version of nfs it chose to use.  Not terribly
important as long as it Just Works(TM). ;-)

Unless someone knows the name of that command so I can run it from a cli.
It would save me from getting wet, seems Chicago shipped a train load of
surplus rain east this morning.

Thanks Tom.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)