Cannot boot from CD or external USB

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 09:19:57 UTC 2014

On 21 August 2014 09:29, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:
> Good afternoon
> I do have an old HP nx9005 laptop, used exclusively for "experimenting"
> with Linux.
> Currently: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (installed from CD)
>
> due to the limited hardware I would like to install Lubuntu 14.04
> However:
> * when the live CD is in the drive, the PC does not read it at startup
> and boots "normally" from HDD

Boot into the BIOS setup and somewhere in there you should find a Boot
Order setting.  In there check that the CD is shown before the HDD.
Alternatively one of the options shown on booting (in the BIOS startup
screen) there may be an option to Select Boot Device or something
similar which will allow you to select the CD for this boot without
affecting the BIOS settings.

Colin