WINE and MS Office

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Aug 14 23:48:22 UTC 2014

On 08/14/2014 06:56 PM, Peter Goggin wrote:
> On 15/08/2014 4:01 AM, Normand Marion wrote:
>> If you want to use MS-Office you certainly have good reasons, but
>> sometime the installation could be tricky. A good place to get
>> information is https://www.winehq.org/.
>>
>> Did you ever consider LibreOffice. Except for Access and some macro
>> in Excel, using LibreOffice is a good alternative and almost more
>> reliable. LibreOffice is compatible with almost every Office document.

>> <mailto:petergoggin at bigpond.com>>:
>>
>>     I have installed WINE on my test laptop. I tried to install
>>     Office 2000. The install completed successfully but when I tried
>>     to run Access it complained of a missing DLL. I did a full
>>     install of all components but still got the same error.
>>
>>     I then tried toi install Office XP. . Theinstall asked for a
>>     directory to install in. The default was C:
>>     \programfiles\Microsoft Office. What should this be. If I leave
>>     it as default the install stops with an error at the first
>>     component it tries to load.
>>
>>     Any help in solving the problem with either version of MS office
>>     will be gratefull accepted.
>>
>>     Regards
>>
>>     Peter Goggin

Perhaps a question on this list or one of the others that specifically
asks if there is _any_ Linux database that can reliably read MS files.
The question should specifically state
that the app need not be free, as I'm sure you would be willing to pay a
reasonable price for it, so long as it would be substantially less than
four copies of Win 8. Of course,
do not neglect Google!  If I were a betting man, I would bet there is a
compatible one out there. (SoftMaker Software,GmbH [Germany] is working
on one for Windows; their
SoftMaker Office is available for Linux. Don't know what timeline for a
Linux db might be. Look here:
http://www.softmaker.com/english/dm_en.htm. They will surely answer
a question about Linux availability. I have their office suite, and I
like their TextMaker word processor.)

--doug