Changing from Windows Xp to Ubuntu

Peter Goggin petergoggin at bigpond.com
Tue Aug 12 01:01:06 UTC 2014

I have successfully transferred Thunderbird and various excel
spreadsheets and word documents from XP windows on one laptop to Ubuntu
on another laptop. The MS documents all work fine with LibreOffice..

I have tried converting the MS Access data base to LibreOffice Base. I
installed LibreOffice on the XP machine and then opened the MS Access
data base. I saved and then reopened the native LibreBase data base . I
found the following:
1 All tables transferred correctly
2. All views (there are about 20 used in the application ) transferred
as tables (at least they sit in the tables area)
3. While LibreBase appears to have a gui front end built in none of the
forms transferred across.

I can probably recreate the forms in LibreBase but I cannot find any
information on creating  a menu form which allows navigation around the
data base. I looked in the documentation for LibreBase but could not
find any information. Is it possible to create such forms?

Is it possible to transfer Access views to LibreBase views?

Many years ago while I was working as a database manager on Oracle I
created a web based application using Mysql, Php and Html. It is so long
ago that I have forgotten some of the details, but the system ran on Red
hat Linux and could be accessed via a normal web browser. I believe that
I used Apache as a local server.  Is this approach still viable?  I
could not find Apache in the software library so I wondered if it was
still available.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Peter Goggin