LiveCD won't run on my Toshiba notebook

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Mon Aug 11 15:46:09 UTC 2014

On 08/10/2014 11:13 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/10/2014 03:03 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> I have a Toshiba Satellite C551-A notebook.  It is setup to dual boot
>> Win8 and Ubuntu 13.10.  I use it mostly to test stuff, while
>> experimenting I remove Python 3 and pretty much crippled the system. It
>> still boots but is missing a lot of functionality.
>>
>> I was planning on using it to test a distribution upgrade to 14.04 so I
>> decided to reinstall 13.10 and then do the upgrade, but the liveCD I
>> used to originally install Ubuntu will not run. Doesn't matter if I
>> choose to run Ubuntu or install it, it gets to white letters on black
>> screen that scroll by and then the screen turns black and nothing
>> happens after that. As a test I put the CD in my desktop machine dual
>> booting Ubuntu 12.04 and Win 7 and it will allow me to run Ubuntu from
>> the liveCD.
>>
>> Anyone have any idea what is wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,  Jim
>>

> <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/270501>
> <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/270182>
> <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/270296>

Thanks, you found them before I had a chance to look for them. As the
conversation proceeded I began to realize I had been through this
before.  It seems I have a problem that when I work on something
intensely for awhile and it gets solved, as time passes the memory of
what I did fades.

Thanks,  Jim