Trusty LTS install does not boot

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 00:58:19 UTC 2014

I'm a little late to the game getting my 13.10 xubuntu system up to 12.04.1
Trusty, but I started today.  I have a complaint and a problem.  They're
not the same.

The complaint is that the install process scared me, then turned out to be
feckless -- I can't boot into the new system.  The install took a while to
detect that I have multiple operating systems on this machine.  That's very
true, but the scary part was that as soon as I told it I wanted to install
alongside them rather than over them, it immediately began copying files.
Where, I had to ask myself.  Eeeek!  I was expecting to be able to direct
the install to my brand new SSD disk (/dev/sdd) that I bought for the
purpose.

I let the install proceed, figuring that the damage, if any, was already
done.  It turns out that the install took the rest of my /dev/sda drive,
all 1.36TiB of it.  This seems extreme.  But the final bit of complaining
is that despite reporting that it was doing grub-update and such, when I
went to reboot, I had the same GRUB menu as before -- no signs of 12.04 --
and the default took me right into my usual 13.10 system.  At least I still
have a usable system.

End of complaining.

Now the problem:

I resized the OS down to 32.00 GiB, and copied it over to /dev/sdd1 using
gparted.  I can mount it and browse throught it.  But I'm not clear on how
to get it to boot.

I think I've seen how-tos about that here an there.  I'll be googling for
such help.  I hope it works better than the procedure built into the
installer.  But I couldn't hold myself back from the above complaint.

--
Kevin O'Gorman