Desktop Organization

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Aug 10 19:01:13 UTC 2014

At Sun, 10 Aug 2014 17:06:06 +0200 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 10 August 2014 16:58, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> > Well *I* *never* used any version of MS-Windows.  The first 'desktop' system I
> > used was DECWindows on a VaxStation 2000 running VMS.  I then moved to
> > DECWindows on DECStations running Ultrix.  I now use FVWM2 in MWM mode on
> > Linux machines (CentOS 5 is the current version I use).
> >
> > ('DECWindows' was DEC's rebranding of X11/Motif and used the Motif Window
> > Manager [MWM].)
>
> Fair enough.
>
> I've used DECwindows myself -- I was a VAX sysadmin for a time in the
> 1990s -- and while it was based on X11 and Motif, the actual desktop
> was CDE, the Common Desktop Environment.

Actually CDE came later (after *I* had moved to Linux / FVWM). The DECWindows
incarnation I used was before CDE. CDE was what was on the later versions of
IRIX (SGI workstations) and later Alpha Stations and on the SparcStations
(under Solaris, post SunOS 3). When *I* was using DECwindows on VaxStations
and DecStations, CDE was not quite there yet. I did not partitularly like CDE
on the machines that had it -- I was happier to just slogin in from my Linux
box running FVWM. At UMass where I worked, the VAXen were pretty much all
retired by the late 1990s (and so were the DECStations as well). Things had
pretty much become mostly Linux, with some SparcStations, SGI workstations,
and an Alpha or two. Pretty much the Linux boxes were more than fast enough
(for desktops) and the Gateway or Dell boxes were far cheaper than anything
else that ran UNIX.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933