Advice on removing a start-up password

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 16:32:59 UTC 2014

On 9 August 2014 18:23, Bill Stanley <bstanle at wowway.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that this is not a Windows support forum but most of it relates to
> using a Linux script, so bear with me if possible.
>
> I am trying to help a friend that fell prey to a phone scam involving her
> Windows XP computer.  To make it a short story, she allowed the scammer to
> remotely access her computer and he enabled the Syskey startup password that
> Microsoft puts an every Windows machine.  The startup password is only for
> high security computers and it prevents a user from booting the computer
> unless a password is entered.

You are describing 2 different things here.

#1 is a startup password. This is set in the BIOS and prevents the
computer being booted.

You can only set this in the BIOS; you can't do it from inside Windows
or by remote control.

The other is a Windows login password. That is set in Windows and can
be done by remote control.

This is trivial to get round. I use Petter Nordgral-Haagen's boot disk
to remove these. However, you can add a tool to Ubuntu to do it, as
well. Lubuntu would work fine.