Are you forced to buy windows in order to solve certain tasks on the internet e.g. like certain banktasks and to update garmin gps maps and other

William Scott Lockwood III scott at guppylog.com
Thu Aug 7 12:01:30 UTC 2014

On Aug 7, 2014 2:07 AM, "Mike Barnard" <mike.barnardq at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 July 2014 19:20, William Scott Lockwood III <scott at guppylog.com>
wrote:

>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:11 AM, user1 <bqz69 at telia.com> wrote:
>> > Okay.
>> > My questions was more generally when you are not an ubuntu expert
>> > When you have windows you can solve windows tasks easy.
>> > What I mean is there are lots of tasks made only for windows and mac,
>> > seems like several companies do not bother to make tasks suitable for
>> > linux as it probably costs too much to make and maintain and there are
>> > too few linux users in the world?
>> > As I see it Windows thus force people to buy windows even if they are
>> > only using linux (but secretly the backdoor way)?
>>

>> My opinion is no. I do everything on Linux, including playing windows
>> games. And Open or Libre Office handles common file formats like .docx
>> just fine.
>>

> Really? I find docx with any tables or images or diagrams heavily
distorted when opened in [Open,Libre]Office. And pptx is worse of them all.
Font size changes across multiple slides, over flowing text, background
sporadically applied across different slides... Looks like to work with
certain M$ office files, you need M$ office :-(

>> --
>> W. Scott Lockwood III
>>
>> --

> Mike

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say you need it. I and many others do
not. I have zero use for power point, but there is a viewer for those. The
viewer used to be free, so you might look at that. As to the issues you
have with .docx files, I haven't had this problem, so I can't really
comment on it. As to issues with fonts, that usually happens when you dont
have the right fonts installed.