VirtualBox

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Aug 6 18:57:00 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 06 August 2014 13:14:51 compdoc did opine
And Gene did reply:
> > Hard drives, net cards, and even motherboards die.  To be forced to
> > buy
>
> yet another copy
>

> I replace dead motherboards and drives for customers on a monthly
> basis, and reinstall Windows each time using the same license.
> Microsoft is very generous and cooperative is this regard.

You might be able reach them on the phone in a timely manner, at the
number shown in the paper accompanying the license key. I OTOH, as the CE
at a tv station with a news reporter whose motherboard died keeping the
back of my neck warm, don't have time to listen to their hideous music on
hold for the hours or in one case several days, starting a fresh call
every morning about 8:30 Redmond time, putting that crap on the speaker
phone because I really did have other things to do until such time as they
deign to answer the blinking light.

> It amazes me how anyone can justify piracy based on their lack of IT
> skills, or their bias towards Microsoft or the music industry or any
> entity because they charge for their products.

I have yet to talk to anyone at Microsoft that didn't spend the first 5
minutes of the conversation berating me because as far as they were
concerned, I was just another pie-rat.

> And this doesn't excuse the stupidity of suggesting the use of infected
> software in these lists. The very first hit on google for ' Remove***'
> tells you to disable your AV before running. The reason for that is
> the infection it includes.
>
> I'm not a gambler, but I would be willing bet that Liam will be
> responsible for the infection of dozens if not hundreds of computers
> by the time these posts circulate the web in the next few days. Not to
> mention being responsible for piracy of that many copies of Windows.
>
> Windows is a great product.

Until it breaks.

> And so is Ubuntu. Have some integrity and
> show some intelligence.

Integrity?  I have no problem admitting I am wrong.  It has even happened
on this list a few times.

Intelligence? I was tested at 147 on the Iowa IQ test in '47.  I made a
98% on the AFQT in the Korean war years along with about 135 other kids,
whose next best score was 36%. More recently I kept a medium market tv
station on the air for the last 18 years of my working life, but back up
the log I had fingerprints in the cameras that were on the Trieste when it
went down into the mohole in 1960, I sat for the 1st phone in '62 without
cracking a book, and I did the same for the journeyman C.E.T. certificate
a decade later, each time turning in the finished tests in 1/3 to 1/4th of
time allocated.  All that on an 8th grade education because I got bored
and decided I'd druther fix these newfangled things called tv's.  I went
to get a GED because the then new wife insisted. 2 weeks later, no
pass/fail had been received.

Cornering the test administrator at the post office, I asked about it and
his reply was "why do you care? You WERE just doing it for the exercise
weren't you?"  Damn, guilty as charged. ;-)

I also have a diploma from the University of Hard Knocks, where I got the
majority of my schooling since even in the 4th decade of the last century,
the schools were being dumbed down.

So be careful whose intelligence you impugn.  Us old farts can be a
treacherous lot...

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)