Are you forced to buy windows in order to solve certain tasks on the internet e.g. like certain banktasks and to update garmin gps maps and other

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Mon Aug 4 14:20:25 UTC 2014

On 08/04/2014 06:07 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 1 August 2014 15:38, Sherman Willden <sherman.willden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am forced to use Windows 7 while taking a Windows Server  course because
>> the course requires silverlight. Ughhhh.
>

> I think if there is one place where using Windows might be justified,
> it's studying Windows, to be fair!
>
> There used to be Novell Moonlight for some things, but it's
> long-unmaintained now. Doesn't work in modern Firefox versions, AFAIK.

That is true, in fact the Silverlight site said for other OSs (read
Linux) go to the Moonlight site.   No one, including my vendor can tell
me what silverlight is for.  I read somewhere it is for "multi-media".
The site that requires it is for reading logs of data from remote
microcontrollers and send programming instructions to the vendors
database.  And this morning, it seems that is is not required for me to
see my bill, as the send me an email that says your bill is ready, then
they attach a pdf that has only their name, my account number and an
order number they assigned.  When I go to the site, I get a blank screen
with a constantly 'connecting to sitename.com'.  Looking at the page
sourge, I get a grayed out 1.

The vendor says the salesman can explain why I need silverlight-yeah
right, and no call for 2 weeks.  I don't blame him.

set soapbox (read bitching) off,

John