computer crash

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Aug 1 13:55:16 UTC 2014

arelem wrote:
> Something went amiss with my hard drive on which I had Fedora 20 and
> Ubuntu14.04.

Is that the laptop you mentioned in the other thread where you had
removed a partition?

> Primary boot was 14.04.
> Now when I start the drive I get grub rescue on which ls shows (hdo)
> (hd0,msdos5) through to (hd0,msdos1)
> ls (hd0,msdos3) shows the fedora LVM but the other msdos5 through 1
> show nothing.
>   I can set root=(hd0,msdos3)/
> then set boot (hd0,msdos3)/grub2/path to i386/
> but have no idea how to start the fedora system of how to reet grub2
> from grub rescue  shell.
>
> Google is not helping mch so I  am asking if anyone in LinuxLand can
> give me  instructions on how to reinstate either Ubuntu or Fedora so
> that I can access my files.

I don't know much about LVM and / or the grub rescue mode, but maybe
here is some useful information:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting>

> I have just installed 14.04LTS 64 on an SSD which seems blistering
> fast in comparison to 14.04 386 on the hard drive.
> Oh and the strange thing is that the Ubuntu /home directory seems
> empty, all files gone which is why I want to access the Fedora
> partition of the drive because many of the /home files were the same.

Could it be that your /home is only the mount point for a LVM partition?
Then you should of course search on the LVM partition for your files.

Nils