Help! I cannot upgrade to New Ubuntu release 12.04.4 LTS

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Apr 29 18:39:18 UTC 2014

Rick Magraw wrote:
> I apologize if I am the culprit, and taking up some much time and
> effort.

Np problem.

> I did redo (copy and paste) the ln command line, and have now gotten
> back to the original error message about not enough disk space,
> albeit now requiring a smaller amount ,i.e., 776 N on "/'
>
> (I did not redo the mv command line).
>
> Not enough free disk space
> The upgrade has aborted.
> The upgrade needs a total of 1,623 M of free space on disk '/'
> Please free at least an additional space of 776 M on disk '/'
> Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations
> using sudo apt- get clean.

Well, the suggested "apt- get clean" wouldn't help because the packages
are on the other partition now. How many kernels are installed on that
system? Maybe you should remove all but the currently used kernel and
also the kernel-header for those kernels. That could free up enough
space. You really only need one kernel because the new release will also
install a new kernel. To find out what kernels may be obsolete, you can
use the command

ls /boot

and if you need some help to find the appropriate command, please post
the output of the command above.

Nils