10.04.4 LTS: Cannnot select chromium-browser as default browser in preferred applications

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Apr 26 09:24:43 UTC 2014

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 26 April 2014 04:08:40 Nils Kassube did opine:
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > I suspect I may have a perms problem, so where does the file the
> > > prefered applications requester located on 10.04.4 LTS?
> >
> > Run the command
> >
> > sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
> >
> > in a terminal. But I'm not sure if that works for all applications.
>
> Apparently not for a link clicked on in kmail.  Is there any other
> way?

Sorry that it didn't help, but a KDE / Kmail question on this list was a
bit unexpected. :)

Now the question is which desktop are you using? If it is Gnome or Unity
(did that already exist for 10.04?) you are probably looking at the
wrong place because kmail should use the KDE settings. Run the command

systemsettings

from the terminal. Then select "Default Applications" -> "Web Browser"-
For the default component select "in the following browser" and write
"/usr/bin/chromium-browser" to the input area below. Finally click
"Apply".

At least that should work in theory, but I didn't test it with kmail on
10.04.

Nils