Ubuntu LTS 14.04 download query

Sajan Parikh sajan at parikh.io
Wed Apr 23 13:32:01 UTC 2014

On 04/23/2014 08:03 AM, Ganesh Hariharan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see and I am downloading the ISO of size 564 MB.
>
> The query is, I want to install on multiple machines and I do not want
> to do online updates/installation of packages from ubuntu mirror
> sites..., so where do I get the additional ISOs (if any)
>
> Please advice
>
> Regards

It sounds like you have downloaded the server version, which will not
include X or any desktop.  If you need a desktop, make sure you download
the desktop version.

With that said, both the 564MB (server) iso and the 964MB (desktop) iso
will install a fully working system without any internet access.

If your machine HAS internet access, but you don't want to download
anything due to a slow connection or needing to use a custom mirror
later on, the desktop installer will allow you to choose "Download
Updates While Installing", which you can leave unchecked.

The server version however, if it automatically connects to the internet
via DHCP, I believe will go out and query the mirrors and may download
things, not entirely sure.  It might be a good idea to just unplug any
networking cables while installing.  If there is no DHCP, you can just
skip the network setup while installing and it won't be able to connect.

Again, both the ISOs will install a full, working system with all the
default packages.

Sajan Parikh