14.04

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 20 13:18:19 UTC 2014

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 12:11:52 +0200
Nils Kassube wrote:

> Colin Law wrote:
> > On 19 April 2014 22:01, R Kimber <richardkimber at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > > When I boot up 14.04 I get an otherwise blank screen with the
> > > message:
> > >
> > > "error: malformed file, press any key to continue".
> >
> > Is that standard Ubuntu?
>
> After I posted my previous mail I searched a bit further. While others
> had the same problem, I couldn't see a solution. However I found the
> origin of the error message in the source code of grub2 which comes with
> all Ubuntu flavours, so it probably doesn't matter which Ubuntu flavour
> it is (I'm running Kubuntu myself).
>
> Here is the source code snippet (from grub-core/commands/loadenv.c):
>
> | /* This might be actually valid, but it is unbelievable that
> |    any filesystem makes such a silly allocation.  */
> | return grub_error (GRUB_ERR_BAD_FS, "malformed file");
>
> So some integrity check can't believe what it reads, prints a cryptic
> error message and then lets the user press a key. As there is no hint
> WHICH file may be malformed, this isn't helpful in any way IMHO.
>
> Like I wrote before, the error is gone on my system after reinstalling
> grub to the MBR. I'm curious if that works for Richard as well.

Thanks Nils.  I'll try re-installing, but which package do I need to
re-install?  On my system, according to synaptic, I have

grub-common
grub2-common
grub-pc
grub-pc-bin
grub-gfxpayload-lists

   - all of them?  The grub2 dummy package doesn't seem to be installed.
The package naming looks a bit messy to me.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber