UbuntuGNOME 14.04

Peter Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 10:24:25 UTC 2014

On 19/04/14 11:15, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Peter Smout <smoutpete at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> True it's a matter of taste! & also practicality, Gnome 3 suspends when I
>> close the laptop lid even if a back-up or something is running in the
>> background, & even when it's plugged in to the TV to watch a film!!! this is
>> the most annoying thing I have ever encountered and the Gnome devs do not
>> seem to care! They state on their forum that it's the way it's going to be
>> and like it or lump it (or words to that effect)!
>>
>> I always thought Linux was about choice not having things put upon you and
>> told you cant do anything about it!!
>
> The Gnome developers don't want to provide a gui option to change the
> lid-closing behavior but you can modify that behavior to a certain
> extent via dconf-editor.(or dconf or gsettings once you know what the
> correct keys are).
>
> Search for "power" in dconf-editor.

As I stated in my previous message, it wont stick, to have to keep doing
it got me down! (maybe that's a Sabayon thing, but I doubt it!)

The forums are full of people moaning about this and other things that
the devs have been seen to remove from people! (I guess you can't please
all of the people all of the time!)

It no-longer concerns me as I have off'd Sabayon & Gnome 3 from My life
and will stick with Ubuntu & Crunchbang for the time being!!

And whilst I'm here can I say a BIG thanks to the *buntu devs for
continuing to provide an excellent operating system that (for me at
least) keeps getting better!

Pete S