What are Distribution updates?

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 07:41:47 UTC 2014

On 14 April 2014 22:55, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 04/14/2014 03:00 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 14 April 2014 20:33, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Running Ubuntu 12.04
>>>
>>> Update manager just popped up with Distribution updates checked and under
>>> it
>>> was a file locking library for Python.
>>

>> I don't recognise those words on the Update Manager.  Could you take a
>> screen shot and post it here please.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Here is a DropBox link:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105949571/UpdateManager.png

That means an update *to* to the distribution, not an upgrade *of* the
distribution.  I think
Martinx may well be right in that it happens if there are new packages
to install, though I am not certain of that.  You need not worry about
it upgrading to a new version of Ubuntu, you will only get that
through the update manager by clicking on the button that may appear
at the top telling you that there is a new version available.

Colin