Get chrome to prompt for restart after update

William Scott Lockwood III scott at guppylog.com
Fri Apr 11 14:24:47 UTC 2014

On Apr 11, 2014 7:49 AM, "Liam Proven" <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 April 2014 16:23, William Scott Lockwood III <scott at guppylog.com>
wrote:
> > I have seen this, and I solved it by killing all Evolution processes,
> > as it was the only thing hanging for me. You could do something
> > similar for Chrome. Here's the script I wrote:
> >
> > ps aux | grep evolution | grep -v grep | cut -d ' ' -f2 | kill -9 $(cat
$1)

> > You could replace 'evolution' with the name of your chrome binary (for
> > example, I use chromium).
>

> I may be missing something here, but what's wrong with `killall -9
evolution`?

There are parts of evolution that run as slightly differently named
binaries, but that have evolution in the name. Killall misses these. If one
of them needs to be restarted, then doing it my way allows you to ensure
that they do relaunch when you start evolution again.

I like evolution, but it has never exactly been stable for me, and I have
been using it since 2005.