My thoughts confirmed.... about 13.10

Peter Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 10:55:53 UTC 2014

On 11/04/14 05:27, J wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:02 AM, c. marlow <chris at marlows.org> wrote:

>>> Well, that shows your culplit pretty clear, Firefox and
>>> "plugin-container" with 70% cpu usage, as well as 700+MB of memory for
>>> that alone... you left a browser window open on a site with a demanding
>>> flash thingy?
>>>

>> Nope because I got up at 2 am this morning and got on the pc and it was
>> using 1.3 gigs and nothing was left open.
>>

> Dump firefox and get Chrome...

Hi,

This hardly seems an answer, Ubuntu ships with Firefox as it's default
browser, and any newbie has the right to expect it to 'just work'(tm)
and a blanket "dump firefox for chrome(ium)" is hardly helpful!

> This is a problem with Firefox, or if not specifically firefox, with
> the plugins you have installed.  That's why you see plugin-container.
> Watch it long enough, and you should see it slowly climb higher...
>
> Another thing you need to do, is run top, but sort on the Res column.
> Virt is the total memory size including what the app has mapped for
> itself, any cached pages, etc., but Res is what's actually in RAM at
> the moment.
>
> http://mugurel.sumanariu.ro/linux/the-difference-among-virt-res-and-shr-in-top-output/
>
> Anyway, I used to see this maddeningly as it would cause me to have to
> reboot every two days because the browser plugins would constantly
> chew up memory and never release it.  Eventually I dumped Firefox
> completely and just use Chrome on my linux boxes today.  Chrome has
> its own issues but it seems to work far better than Firefox.
>
> Cheers
> Jeff

I have noticed the 'plug-in container' using a fair bit of my memory,
but it releases it when closed (the offending plug-in for me is
flash-player (non free)) <note:> I have tried gnash but it is NOT
compatible with all websites most notably youtube.com

I do not leave f-fox running all day open on any of my machines but as
an experiment I will leave it running tonight (not playing just open)
and see if I can replicate this and try to start debugging ;)

Let's see if we can solve this (or at least try and find if it is a
*buntu related or perhaps it's Adobe's fault (their Linux support has
been awful for a couple of years now :(  .) and deed it back up stream
to the relevant party (Mozilla, Adobe or the *buntu devs)

Regards

Pete S